hit counter for blogger

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Homeruns: Why are they called homeruns?

For many years now hitting the ball (the baseball) in fair territory over the fence is called a homerun. But why? Who came up with it, and why? I guess I get the run. You at least get a run out of it, maybe more. But the thing that has always bothered me is what if you are the away team? How would it be called a homerun? You are not at home, so it can't be a homerun. It can be an awayrun, but not a homerun. Has no one picked up on this? I mean it's ridiculous and a glaring error in this great game of baseball.

For instance I was watching a baseball game with my friends last season, and I said "Woo awayrun" and they looked at me like I was the stupid one, I mean really? I am the stupid one, but you can't even figure out who is the home, and away team. Don't play ballsnap with me I am not a block of spaghetti. I am not stupid enough to not know that awayrun sounds stupid. But homerun sounds even stupider! We need to come up with a different name for it all together where it is not subject to home, and away. I suggest quader. Then you'd have a single, double, triple, and quader. What is wrong with that? NOTHING! People are just set in old ways. Homerun makes no sense at all when they away team hits it. I for now on am calling balls (baseballs) that go over the fence in fair territory quaders, and I hope you join me.


That's baseball for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment